We’ve all heard about the endless benefits of practicing Yoga and the well being it brings into your daily life. Originated in Ancient India and introduced by Yoga gurus to the Western countries, Yoga is now refined into a posture-based physical fitness, stress-relief and relaxation technique. A lot of the population practices yoga to lose weight, but today we are only gonna focus on the healing benefits of yoga to improve mental health.
Let’s look at how Yoga can be incorporated into your lifestyle to help you destress, and better deal with anxiety and depression. Find a comfortable spot in your home or outdoors, where you won’t be distracted for the next 30 mins.
- Breathing: Relax your shoulders and slowly start taking deep breaths and allowing your body to consume all the air and exhale gradually. This will help you to regulate your breathing and allow you to channel a sense of self-control. This exercise is also known as “pranayama”.
- The Cat-Cow Stretch (Chakravakasana): Start with moving the spine from a rounded position to an arched one and with each movement exhale and inhale alternatively. Initiate each movement from your tailbone and let it ripple up the spine, moving your head last of all.
- Downward dog: From a kneeling position and walk your hands out in front of you and push your hips up and back into Downward Dog. Walk your hands out before you and push your hips up and back into Downward Dog. End with your forehead facing the yoga mat. Take a deep breath and hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
4. Supported bridge : Lay on your back, bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor. Slowly lifting your hips off the ground enough to slide a foam roller/rolled towel/ pillow, anything that is available to support your hips. Now extend your legs up to the ceiling, keeping your feet flexed. Bring your arms out to a T-position on the floor. Hold this position for at least 2 minutes.
5. Standing forward bend: In a standing position, place your feet shoulder-width apart. Now try and reach towards the floor allowing your body to hang over the waist. Keep the knees slightly bent for comfort. Let the shoulders, neck and head hang totally relaxed. Hold the position for 10-15 seconds and breathe normally.
6. Child’s pose : While sitting on the heels, placing palms on the floor, bring your forehead to the floor and stretch the arms forward. Hold the position as you take slow and deep breaths.
7. Cobra stretch: Rests level on your stomach with jaw to the ground. Spot hands marginally forward of shoulders, palms down, fingers forward on your forehead. Elbows are bowed. Keep the legs as near one another as conceivable with the highest tops of the feet on the ground. Breathe in and raise the head and chest up and afterward push through your arms to lift yourself up. Arms ought to be shoulder width separated, elbows somewhat bowed, shoulders moved back and down, chest high and head back. The entire pelvic region is on the ground. You can lay on the lower arms on the off chance that it is more agreeable for you. Inhale long, slow and profound.
Checkout out this Yoga Burn Routine to help you lose weight and transform your health. Start now and build a healthy lifestyle for yourself, you deserve it !