A Vegan diet or a plant-based diet has gained popularity over the past years. People restrict all animal-based products such as meat, fish, and even dairy products. A vegan diet to lose weight is a great option for people looking for a healthy diet. This guide will help you to switch to a vegan diet.
Lets dive right in !
A Vegan diet restricts all meat and sea-food, which also contain high nutritional value such as protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Make sure to include the below nutrients to create a balanced healthy diet.
- Protein alternatives: Tofu, Lentils, Chickpeas and other beans, Nutritional Yeast, and oats. Also chia seeds and nuts.
- Sources of calcium: leafy vegetables – such as broccoli, cabbage, and okra, fortified unsweetened soy, rice, and oat drinks. Sesame seeds and tahini, pulses, brown bread. Dried fruit, such as raisins, prunes, figs, and dried apricots.
- Options for Vitamin B12: unsweetened soya drinks fortified with vitamin B12. And yeast extract, such as Marmite, which is fortified with vitamin B12.
- Sources of omega-3 fatty acids: Avocado, flaxseed (linseed) oil, rapeseed oil, soya oil, and soya-based foods, such as tofu, walnuts.
- Alternatives of iron: pulses, broccoli, ground linseed, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, kale, dried apricots and figs, raisins, quinoa, and fortified breakfast cereal.
- Sources of fiber: Lentils, Black beans, Lima beans, Broccoli, Fig, Sweet potato, Brussel sprout, Bulgur, Apple, Banana, Bell pepper, Quinoa, Oats, Whole wheat bread, Carrot
How to loose weight on a vegan diet?
There could be many variations of a vegan diet to lose weight. For instance, a high protein vegan diet, keto vegan diet, and low carb vegan diet. Consider these simple practices to help you lose weight.
- Be in a calorie deficit and practice calorie density: For any diet plan to show results for weight loss, being in a calorie deficit(burning more calories than consuming in a day) is a primary factor. Furthermore consuming vegan foods that are lower in calorie density will allow you to consume more with lesser calories. Foods such as fruits, veggies, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains, and legumes have low-calorie density.
- Consume more fiber-rich foods: Eating more lower-calorie, high-fiber foods include eating more whole, plant-based foods. It is one of the healthiest ways to lose weight.
- Make sure to exercise: Exercising and working out is just essential as having a healthy vegan diet. It could be anything, strength training or practicing yoga. Discover what makes you feel better and develop consistency.
- Have vegan meal prep: Meal preps help you be consistent in consuming healthy food. Preventing you from snacking on junk food when you don’t have the time to cook or don’t feel like cooking. Check out this meal prep book for various vegan recipes.
- Have a high protein vegan diet to lose weight: Protein is an essential nutrient required in you’re healthy journey. If you work out regularly, protein helps to build and repair muscle. It keeps us fuller for longer periods and reduces cravings.
5 Benefits of a vegan diet.
- Improve digestion: Plant-based foods that are rich in fiber help aid digestion. make sure to include high fiber foods such as veggies and chia seeds in your meals for balanced nutrient consumption.
- Get in a better mood: Eating fresh food and green vegetables helps you keep in a better mood by keeping you sufficiently full and preventing over-eating.
- Vegan Diet is healthy: Vegan diet promotes fruits and vegetables, as a result eliminating fatty meats and dairy products that aid health will ultimately build a healthier diet.
- Promotes weight loss: Vegan diet includes all the healthy nutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and fiber. By not consuming high-calorie meats it is easier to be in a calorie deficit and lose weight.
- Better heart health: Cutting out high cholesterol fats found in cheese, meat and butter will lower the chances of heart diseases. A vegan diet consists of high fiber foods that build heart health. Foods such as lentils, grains, chia seeds, and green vegetables are high in fiber.
Switching over to a vegan diet is a choice and with more plant-based products being available in the market, it is becoming easier for vegans to make plant-based eating choices.
Share this article to a friend or family member who is interested in becoming a vegan.
Start building the healthy life you deserve !